Tuesday, November 13, 2007

iFrame alternative

At PrePress Systems we have been trying to circumvent the asp template beyond their original intentions as much as we possibly can to create the best custom web designs possible. My partner had the idea of using iFrames to avoid having the Flash headers from reloading every time someone clicks on something, and that would work, but I am a SEO guy and I can't in good conscious put an iFrame on a web site. Google is phasing out iFrames because they were abused in the past, so we had to look for an alternative. We found several ways to do it with PHP, but they won't work on our ASP sites, so we looked for a javascript solution, but we had no luck with that, and then we found the OBJECT tag. The object tag will embed another site into your website much like you embed a YouTube video on your website.

The only downfall to the object tag is supposedly it will not walk off the server, but that is not true. We got Google to load on a page with no problem. Now comes the SEO problems, we would have a website that is essentially only one page and that is no good for internal linking structure. Will Google index the plain html page we make to load into the content?

If you are looking for a good iFrames alternative, I suggest you try using object tags and see where you can go. They seem to work well, but now we are trying to push them a bit further and I am sure we will break them in no time. I may play with them at Goatsmilktavern Studios and see what happens to my ranking before I try it out on a paying customer.

No comments: